Friday, November 18, 2005

Nothing

No, this isn't a post about nothing; it's a post about something - which is "nothing." I mentioned in a earlier post about my new marriage motto. Now I have a new personal motto. Before I tell you what it is, let me tell you what it is not. It is not Galatians 6:9 "And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." That's such a beautiful and encouraging verse, isn't it? I hope just hearing it encourages you. But I'm afraid that is not the one that I felt the Lord pointing out to me as a personal directive. The one for me (Miss Prideful) is Galatians 6:3 "For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself."

Now this verse obviously speaks for itself, but I would like to add a quote from Humility by Andrew Murray. (I am eager to read C.J.'s book, but have not had an opportunity yet, so I will have to quote from an older compatriot.) In his preface he discusses the "three great motives that will urge us to humility" I am a creature, a sinner, and a saint. He then says of humility:

It is not something which we bring to God, or He bestows; it is simply the sense of entire nothingness, which comes when we see how truly God is all, and in which we make way for God to be all. When the creature realizes that this is the true nobility, and consents to be with his will, his mind and his affections, the form, the vessel in which the life and glory of God are to work and manifest themselves, he sees that humility is simply acknowledging the truth of his position as creature, and yielding to God His place.

I like that; I want to be like that - nothing.

2 Comments:

At November 18, 2005 4:50 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Before I even read your post, I thought of a song I knew from childhood. I think it was a song from a filmstrip we saw in music class in elementary school. It goes something like this:

"This is a song about nothing
a happy little song I sing about nothing. It makes me feel so good inside - happy just to be alive. It's not hard to sing. Just say nothing."

 
At November 21, 2005 3:08 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

Amen, sister.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home