Saturday, November 05, 2005

How Old is Pop Anyway?

Okay, from the serious to the goofy. Hey, that's what you get in the Cormany household.

I have four fabulous boys. Although the escapades of the younger two could fill a blog all their own, this post focuses on the older two. Samuel and Joshua are 13 months apart. They do everything together and are, thank God, the best of friends. They are not, however, anything alike. They don't look alike, think alike, learn alike, eat alike, grow alike, sit alike, dress alike, talk alike, nope, nothing alike.
Yes, of course they both have two eyes, two ears, a head and all the relevant body parts alike, but that doesn't count right now.

For example, they each have a very different sense of humor. Samuel's jokes are very corny (when they make any sense at all) and seldom get a genuine laugh from his audience, a polite chuckle maybe, but that's it. Of course he is laughing so hard at his own joke that he never notices that no one else is. Then there is Josh. Josh is hilarious. He has a dry, sarcastic sense of humor, great timing, and a good understanding of what a joke actually needs in order to be funny.

Over the years, I have realized that God is using these very different boys to help one another along. Sam helps Josh with school; Josh keeps Sam from dressing like a nerd; they both help each other live with Noah; etc. And now I think there is evidence that Josh is helping Sam with his sense of humor:
We love games at our house. Every member of our family likes to play cards and boardgames. (Well except Gabe who likes to bend the cards and hide all the small pieces.) The only problem is, as you can guess, we all like different games. Recently, after being told to pick a game for us to play, Sam and Josh come upstairs empty-handed. "Where's the game?" I asked. "We can't decide," Sam replies. "Why?" "Because I'm just too old to play the games Josh picks." (Remember, they are just 13 months apart!) Before I can respond Josh interjects "What are you talking about?! I picked 99. Pop Cormany likes to play 99 and he's 80 million years old!" Sam without missing a beat responds "Josh that's silly, Pop Cormany is not 80 million years old. He's only half that." I laughed. Sure, it's not the best material I've ever heard, but I actually laughed out loud. I'm so proud of him - he's come a long way. And he even managed not to laugh at his own joke, but just stood there with a smug grin on his face.

Oh, and yes, for those of you who are knowledgeable about these things, 99 is a drinking game. My 40 million year old father-in-law taught my boys a drinking game. Fortunately, they leave out the drinking part. Thanks Pop!

11 Comments:

At November 06, 2005 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Sam! I think that was a great joke.
Ara

 
At November 06, 2005 4:30 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Good one Samuel! :)

What's 99? Obviously I didn't drink in my "BC" days.

 
At November 06, 2005 5:06 PM, Blogger Kristie said...

99 is a card game. Start with 3 cards. Take turns discarding cards in your hand until "the loser" goes over 99. Aces are 1 or 11; tens add or subtract; and fours reverse play. Draw another card after each play. Great for addition in your head practice really.

 
At November 06, 2005 6:32 PM, Blogger Kristie said...

OK Hold-up. My husband who told me 99 was a drinking game now says he's unsure. It is a gambling game, but you only add drinking when you really want to. So bring on the apple juice!

 
At November 07, 2005 11:07 AM, Blogger Nicole Seitler said...

I tell ya...your boys still make me think of a little Travis and his little brother Jordan. Too cute... :)

 
At November 07, 2005 4:56 PM, Blogger Karen Hevesy said...

My father in law taught my daughter to call people "knuckleheads." She went on her very first field trip with our christian school , and I had a mom tell me very nicely "we don't talk like that." Oh, ok....thank you. Aren't grandads great?
P.S. I love the title "Chesapeake Chicks." Thanks for posting the link.

 
At November 07, 2005 8:55 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Can I steal your Chesapeak Chicks idea??? PLEEEEEASE! I'll let you come to my house on Friday for a fun day with all 6 boys.

 
At November 07, 2005 11:40 PM, Blogger Kristie said...

Well, first you have to spell it right. Then you have to say it correctly 5 times in 5 seconds. And lastly you have to pay me one Reese's Cup.

 
At November 08, 2005 8:57 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

1. Chesapeake Chicks
2. Please, please, please, please, please.
3. The Reese's Cup waiting at my house

 
At November 08, 2005 5:41 PM, Blogger Kristie said...

Nice try, but you have to say "Chesapeake Chicks" 5 times in 5 seconds.

 
At November 19, 2005 7:59 PM, Blogger Kristie said...

Hey Dara, I checked your profile and clicked on your blog, but I couldn't find anything. Let me know when you get it up and running.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home