Monday, October 16, 2006

Why do you. . .

. . . go to the movies? Easy date - no probing questions? Really admire a particular actor/actress? Heard the special effects are awesome? I like that guy - last time I saw a movie directed by him, I laughed so hard soda came out my nose!?

Second question: how do you critique a movie? Cinematography? Score? Costume or set design? Factual? Funny? "A feel-good ending"?

I have a proposition for you. Don't worry, I'm not knocking movie-going. I went this weekend and that's why I'm talking about it. I know at times movie-goers are forced to make a choice between impecable work (directing, acting, design) and story. I don't mean an interesting story, I mean a God-glorifying story. There have been many times that I have seen a preview for a movie that looks incredible, but on further investigation I find that it glorifies sin. No, it doesn't say that mass murderers are cool - it says that adultery is ok if its your "true" love and your spouse is cruel, or rebellion against your parents is ok because they just don't understand. It's subtle sometimes, implying that you get more satisfaction from a promotion than your child's smile.

Therefore, we don't just walk into a theater anymore and pick a movie because it's at the right time or has a cool poster. We do some studying before we go. Believe me, we don't do it perfectly, but by the grace of God we have the desire to try and the help to persevere. Our entertainment time on a Saturday night is not our own anymore than the time on a Sunday morning is, so we want to use it wisely. Sooooo last week we heard about a movie and started studying. We discovered that this movie had no professional actors in it. It had a very low budget - considering how movie budgets usually go. The costumes all came out of the actors' closets. It only took 4 weeks to film. (6 weeks with a 2 week break in the middle.) So what did it have going for it? The story. Here was a story written and filmed by folks who love God and want to honor Him. A story of a man struggling through everyday life and wrestling with the Scriptures to find some hope.

It was not a difficult decision. So we went, and I never left a movie theater more grateful for the time spent there.This movie probably won't be nominated for any awards. It's not "impecable" by any means. But we've discovered in the past that incredible special effects or fascinating scores, although admirable, don't necessarily make for a good evening.

So, now finally, my proposition: Instead of choosing form over substance, switch it, and choose substance over form! If you are a movie-goer and are planning on seeing one in the near future, study for yourself Facing the Giants. Read about the folks who made it and why. Find out that they all have other jobs and are sacrificing their spare time and energy to share truth with as many people as possible. I won't tell you the story - you'll hear enough about it from the website. By the way, none of these comments are meant to insult the talent and ability of the folks who made the film. They did a great job. They are made instead to help all of us think about why we go to the movies.

8 Comments:

At October 17, 2006 9:14 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

My in-laws (who don't go to movies - ever) saw this movie last weekend, too. They loved it!

 
At October 17, 2006 9:38 AM, Blogger Kristie said...

It was good. Oddly enough the part that made me tear up the most was in the credits. When I saw about 200 ladies name (and 1 guy) listed under caterer, I couldn't help but think of all the women in our church and how they serve.

 
At October 17, 2006 5:33 PM, Blogger JennGrover said...

I really wanted to see it, but it seemed to be gone as quickly as it came to the theaters here in Pittsburgh. I am hoping to catch it out on video.

 
At October 17, 2006 5:35 PM, Blogger JennGrover said...

I read the Focus on the Family review on "A Night with the King" (based on the story of Esther) and I am not sure if it sounds good or not. If you hear anything, let me know.

 
At October 18, 2006 7:44 AM, Blogger Kristie said...

I haven't seen "A Night with the King", but even if I had I couldn't say it any better than this!

 
At October 18, 2006 8:58 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Jenn - See Caroyln McCulley's review of the Esther movie.

 
At October 18, 2006 1:17 PM, Blogger Kristie said...

Hey Suz, that's what the above link is. Just click on it and you'll go right there :)

 
At October 18, 2006 8:37 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

You are so much smarter than me. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home