Thursday, July 20, 2006

Happy Birthday Joshie Otter!!


Joshua is such a gift to our family. He has such a tender heart and sweet affection for others. Anytime I'm discouraged Joshua notices and comes with encouragement in the form of kind words, a sweet card, some humor, or even a reminder to pray. I think his tenderness and humor are what make him so appealing to younger children. He has always enjoyed playing with and caring for babies and toddlers, and they absolutely love him.

Not everything comes easy to Josh. There have been times in school or in sports that he has had to persevere through a difficult task. At first I wanted to protect him from this and try to find an easier way, but now I see that God has been using these times to teach him humility, self-control, perseverance, contentedness, and patience.


Josh has a sense of justice that I love. It has not always endeared him to his brothers, however! I was initially afraid that Josh would follow wherever Samuel led, not learning to be a good leader himself, but this has not been the case. Many times when there is conflict or abundant sin going on in the brotherly ranks (and when isn't there?), Josh steps forward to encourage change or confession and is usually the first to repent or apologize.

Josh loves the Bible, and he thinks long and hard on the things he learns, usually asking very difficult questions. Recently he asked us about God's omnipresence. He wanted to know how God could be everywhere and yet our sin still separate us from Him. Fortunately for him and for us, Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology was on the bookshelf! Never expected to be using that with my 7 year old.

Thanks Joshie for being such a blessing to our family. We love you! (more pics below)

4 Comments:

At July 20, 2006 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joshua William Cormany, Wow, what a JOY you have been. Your Mom and Day named you William because you have, (on your mom's side) 2 Great Grandfather Williams, 3 Great Great Grandfather Williams and a few other Grandfather Williams that go even further back. We were so happy when they told us you were going to be a William also. Now as I watch you grow I see some of your 2 Great Grandpa's personality in you. Your playful nature reminds me of your Pop's Dad-He always liked to joke and tease. Your joy and skill in sports, especially baseball remind me of my Dad, He liked to play ball, coach ball and would even watch one ball game on TV at the same time he listened to one on the radio.
You also have your Aunt Jeannie's hair. Hair which she inherited from my Mom.
You have your mom's natural curious nature. As a child she wanted to know exactly how God and Jesus could be the same.
It is no wonder I love spending time with you, you not only remind me of so many people I love but you also have the very unique ability to make those around you feel loved and cared for. AND that is so special. YOU are so special and I love you very much, Happy Birthday, Grammy Morton.

 
At July 22, 2006 6:52 PM, Blogger Zoanna said...

Josh sounds like my second son. I really think the game-playing at birth (I went to the hospital 3 times before he was born on the fourth trip!) is an indicator of a humorous kid. Stephen has always made us laugh, and--like your Josh--been a leader in spiritual ways. Babies and toddlers love him, and special needs kids or kids with mild speech impediments find safety in his friendship. I love all the character qualities you wrote about.

 
At July 22, 2006 8:54 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I've always loved the picture of Josh in the tub in his clothes and innocent Samuel looking on.

 
At July 23, 2006 8:30 AM, Blogger Kristie said...

Yeah, I probably should have explained that picture - we don't normally bathe fully clothed! The boys were supposed to be putting the toys in for their bath. When I turned around, Josh was in. I guess I shouldn't have ignored Samuel when he was saying "Joshie, no. Joshie, no no."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home