Friday, July 07, 2006

Things Change and Things Stay the Same

When I used to babysit for the Bowmans, I had one weakness that got us in a lot of trouble when Mark and Terri would come home: bedtime inforcement. Matthew learned early on that asking me to read to him at bedtime was the same as a "get out of bedtime free" card. "One more chapter, please" or "Just a little more?" were requests I hardly ever refused. That all changed, however, once Matthew was old enough to suffer the consequences of not abiding by the lights out rule. Bedtime was strictly enforced from then on.

Now as a 9 year mommy veteran, bedtime has been pretty consistent. Of course, there are caregroup nights or other events that wreak havoc on the schedule, but overall it's been good. That is until this summer. Matt's work schedule has changed and evenings are a bit loose (to put it mildly.) It seems that the boys have gotten some secret information about me and my old ways. Tonight, for example, I heard the old pleas: "one more chapter, please" and "just a little more?" I looked at the clock after finishing an entire Boxcar Children book and it was 10:10pm - quite a bit after their bedtime. It was fun. I kinda felt like a babysitter instead of a mommy for a moment! Maybe I should give them soda and cookies in bed the next time I do that - NAH!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home