Thursday, June 08, 2006

Who's driving?

Samuel has recently moved up from the back of the van to the middle. He can now see the dash and his overall interest in driving has increased. This new interest has resulted in some new comments/questions.
"Mom, what's the speed limit?"
"Mom, I think you may be going to fast."
"Mom, did you put the signal light on when you changed lanes?"
"Mom, don't you think we should get gas now?"
(After rain) "Mom, the road may be slick so please drive carefully."

There is hardly a time that we go anywhere together that I don't get some direction now from my middle-seat driver. His tone is usually very respectful and his desire most times is to be helpful, but occasionally he can forget his inexperience and presume that he knows more than mommy. His tone instead becomes condescending and his desire is to accuse mommy. When these times occur he is reminded of his job to honor mommy - not because mommy is a perfect driver, but because that is the job God has given him.

I saw these interactions in a different light this morning. When I awoke this morning, I immediately thought of a conversation I had with someone yesterday in which God was being accused. This person felt that God had not answered prayer and had instead been neglectful. I, too, have had these opinions before. I have felt that God was overlooking my troubles, either abandoning me to my circumstances or even creating difficult challenges for me that would hurt me. Then I thought of Samuel, sitting in the middle of the van, having a bit of knowledge as to how to drive a car, but having no control over how the car he is riding in is driven. The desire rises up in him to exert some control, to instruct the driver on how it should be done. Hypothetically, what if Samuel got out of his seat, accused me of poor driving and tried to take the wheel from me? Or alternatively, what if he got out of his seat, jumped out of the van and refused to get back in until I agreed to drive the way he wanted me to? Would he be safer driving the car himself? Would he be safer left on the side of the road? No, of course not.

Do you see where I'm going with this? I don't care for analogies that have God in a car so I won't spell it out, but you can see it I'm sure. Aren't we like my hypothetical Samuel at times? We demand that God do things our way or let us drive ourselves. We threaten to abandon what God's doing rather than patiently riding along to discover the lovely destination He has planned for us. What's painfully obvious is that I am not a perfect driver and sometimes Samuel's comments are helpful, but God's ways are perfect. He is never in need of my counsel, and especially not my criticism.

This God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him. For who is God, but the Lord?And who is a rock, except our God? --Psalm 18:30-31 (All of Psalm 18 is very helpful in this case.)

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! 'For who has known the mind of the Lord,or who has been his counselor? Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?' For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen. -- Romans 8: 33-36.

If you are struggling with these thoughts: accusing God of neglect or even cruelty, questioning His character, please consider Job 38:1 thru Job 40:5. I'm not saying that we cannot go to God with our questions and confusion, but I am saying that we should remember our proper place. We are not able to control creation on our own. We do not have the knowledge of how things should be as we often think we do. Our job is to honor the God who loves to be our refuge in difficult times. When we consider Him, His power, His character, His authority, we will lay our hand on our mouth as Job did:
Then Job answered the Lord and said: 'Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer you? I lay my hand on my mouth. I have spoken once, and I will not answer; twice, but I will proceed no further.' -- Job 40:3-5

5 Comments:

At June 08, 2006 8:31 PM, Blogger Zoanna said...

Excellent post. Your analogy is drawn very effectively. Don't worry that it's God in a car, whatever that means that bothers you. It's a very practical insight for our 21st century minds.

By the way, I'm sure Samuel's bent is toward caution. I had little guys saying, "Speed up, Mommy! Faster! Faster? Do we HAVE to stop at EVERY red light?"

My hubby was involved in a hit 'n run tonight, so car safety is on my brain. Thankfully he wasn't hurt!!! But this is the second in just under a month. That one totaled the car. This one did some body damage.

 
At June 09, 2006 7:06 AM, Blogger Kristie said...

Oh Zoanna, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's accidents. I know (from too much experience) that car wrecks can definitely take their toll emotionally and physically - even when there's no long term physical consequences. I'll be praying for you guys that God will comfort you and give you peace through the insurance process.

 
At June 09, 2006 8:31 AM, Blogger Karen Hevesy said...

Really well said, thank you for this reminder, God is not MY co-pilot!! That bumper sticker has always bothered me.

 
At June 12, 2006 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny how this thought can carry over into other areas now that you have drawn the analogy. I was sunblocking Jillian and she said "Get my nose Mom, noses sunburn easy." I told her "I've got you covered." Kind of like anxious prayers, repeated without faith. Thanks for the story, Redbud!

 
At June 13, 2006 9:09 PM, Blogger faith ann raider said...

Thanks so much for this encouraging post!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home