Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Spontaneity, Strawberries, and Suzanne

Well, I'm not a very spontaneous person (right Terrie?), but when I saw Shelley's post on ripe strawberries at the Fruit and Berry Patch, I took off. Well, I didn't actually take off. I called my mom to see if she wanted to go - because the only strawberries I've ever picked before were in our backyard with mom or dad; I called Suzanne to see if she would keep Gabe - because he's a strawberry stomper not a picker; I fed the kids breakfast; did the dishes; made some phone calls; dressed Gabe; checked directions; searched for my camera; searched for batteries for my camera; loaded the van with some things I needed to take to Suzanne's house and then (2 hours later) took off!! Talk about spontaneity!

The strawberry patch was perfect. The weather, the fruit, the kids, mom - It was a blast. My favorite part was that Joshua went cheerfully to pick strawberries for the rest of us, even though he doesn't like them. Let me rephrase that - He didn't like them. After we picked for about 10 minutes, Noah and Sam were already asking to eat the strawberries. I told them they could have a couple, but after that they would have to wait until they had been weighed. Noah was praising them so effectively that Joshua just had to try one. The only strawberries he had eaten recently were store bought and not very tasty. He was so surprised when he bit into one that he exclaimed, "Wow, these are a lot better than home-made!" I guess he thought I had made the store bought ones and obviously had not done a good job.

Well, the thing that really helped make the day a success was Suzanne being willing to keep Gabe with Henry and Jonathan for the morning. Not to mention that she also had lunch ready for us when we came to pick him up. Definitely a spontaneous gal!

4 Comments:

At May 04, 2006 10:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, you make me so jealous to go! So how many pounds did you end up with?

 
At May 04, 2006 11:36 AM, Blogger Jill Brickey said...

HOw much does it cost to go pick strawberries? And how long were you all out there for?

 
At May 04, 2006 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, strawberries, my favorite spring fruit! Looks like you had fun.

 
At May 04, 2006 12:01 PM, Blogger Kristie said...

We were out there picking about one and a half hours and we got 39 pounds of strawberries at $1.25/lb.
Last evening, we were freezing strawberries and today, we made jam. If you're going, go soon. The earlier ones are usually sweeter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home